Blockchains and Bagels: the morning market update to get you ready for the day ahead. Today, Ether futures begin trading on Cryptofacilities while CPA Ontario issues paper cautioning accountants on unregulated ICOs.
Ether futures will begin trading on Cryptofacilities today
UK based exchange Cryptofacilities adds Ether futures to its suite of derivative offerings. The firm falls under the regulatory authority of the UK’s FCA and provides the CME with the CME CF Bitcoin Reference Rate. Akuna Capital has been selected to provide liquidity.
CPA Ontario issues a paper advising accountants to be cautious with ICOs
The professional organization published a white paper advising accountants to act with caution when interacting with unregulated initial coin offerings. The body sees benefits in the technology, but the lack of clarity and transparency in regulation creates a challenging environment to navigate.
Robinhood raises US$363 million in Series D funding
Robinhood’s latest round values the company at US$ 5.6 billion and was led by DST Global. Notable new investors included Sequoia Capital, Kleiner Perkins and Capital G, Alphabet’s venture capital division.
Bank of Canada, TMX say blockchain feasible for securities settlement
Canada’s central bank, the TMX group, and Payments Canada have developed an integrated securities and payment settlement platform using a distributed ledger, showing that cash and assets can be tokenized to facilitate an instant settlement. However, BoC Senior Director Scott Hendry stated that it was not yet clear if the use of blockchain for securities settlement would lead to cost savings.
Around the network
- Huawei adds a bitcoin wallet to its app store even as china cracks down on trading
- Chipmaker Nvidia sees fewer crypto miners, more gamers in the future
- Bitcoin could soar after Blockchain Week New York: crypto analyst
Through the headlines
- Ryan sets May 17 deadline for NAFTA deal, Mexico sees time running short
- Israel launches massive military strike against Iranian targets in Syria
- Lawmakers take step towards nullifying nuclear arms treaty with Russia
- The Fed has ‘time to wait’ while hiking rates, former vice chair Fischer says
- Oil near multi-year highs as iran sanctions tighten supply outlook
Interested in trading digital currencies? Coinsquare is Canada’s most secure platform for buying and selling Bitcoin, Litecoin, and other digital currencies.
Get the latest blockchain and digital currency news from Canada and around the world, delivered each week to your inbox.
Your Email address